A few weeks ago, I heard that bareMinerals was launching a new product that was likened to a BB or CC cream….only better. It’s called Complexion Rescue and is a tinted hydrating gel cream.
Not only does it have SPF 30, but it also contains energizing electrolytes, antioxidants and a unique blend of hydrating humectants that are said to give skin instant hydration. Sounds pretty good, huh? Well, I was intrigued and decided to give it a try.
I purchased the shade Buttercream 03 which is the lightest shade for those with golden undertones.
After using it for about 3 weeks, I’ve decided this truly is unlike any other “tinted moisturizer” I’ve ever used. The gel consistency gives it such a lightweight feel on the skin and yet provides really amazing coverage. It blurs imperfections and you can layer more product in areas that you need more coverage/hydration and it won’t look cakey. This can be applied with fingers but it’s best applied with a synthetic brush like this one from Sedona Lace (#480).
While this is not promoted as a foundation, on days when I just want something light, I have used this on it’s own with just a little setting powder and it works great!
Now let’s talk about the pros and cons….
- Great ingredients – no silicone, oil, parabens or fragrance
- No breakouts or reactions on my sensitive skin
- Provides amazing hydration – no need to put on another moisturizer first before applying like I typically have to do with other BB and CC creams
- Lightweight, barely there feel
- Great blurring technology
- Buildable medium coverage
- Gives skin a beautiful healthy radiance and glow without any shimmer particles
- When layered under a foundation, I use less foundation
- Skin feels hydrated and soft
- Provides broad spectrum SPF 30
- $29 price tag is on the lower end for a non-drugstore BB or CC cream
- Not for those with oily skin
- On my combo skin, if used alone with just a setting powder on top, my skin has a lot of “glow” within about 4 hours and I feel the need to blot my skin with more powder.
- It does oxidize slightly (gets darker). I use the lightest shade for golden/yellow undertones (Buttercream) and immediately after application, it matches my neck perfectly. However, after it sits on my skin for about 30 minutes, it darkens a bit and no longer matches the shade of my neck. If you are in between shades, I’d recommend going with the lighter shade to allow for any oxidation.
I highly recommend this product, especially for those with Dry or Normal-to-Dry skin. For those with combination skin like me, I think you will find this works best paired with a matte foundation over the top, like the L’Oreal Infallible 24 hr foundation or the Estee Lauder Doublewear foundation. Not only does it provide extra sun protection and added coverage, it hydrates the skin and keeps those matte foundations from looking too “mask-like” or cakey.
Where to Buy:
*There are no affiliates links in the post. Product was purchased with my own moola 🙂 All opinions are my own and I have not been paid or compensated for this review.