Lasagna is one of my favorite Italian dishes to eat but one of my least favorite to fix. It isn’t hard to make, but it is so time consuming to make from scratch. So to save time, I used to just buy Stouffer’s 🙂 While that doesn’t take hardly anytime to prepare, it takes a very long time to bake from frozen and is way to much food for just my husband and me. The solution?
I created this combo a couple of weeks ago and let me tell you, it’s SO delicious and SUPER easy! The great thing too is that you can change the flavors by using a different sauce or choosing a different filling for the ravioli (like Spinach and Ricotta Cheese). You can also leave out the meatballs and substitute vegetables if you prefer. But here’s the combination of flavors that my husband and I love….
1 pkg (9 oz) – Italian Sausage Ravioli
1/2 jar – Parmesan and Romano Spaghetti Sauce
1 cup – shredded Mozzarella cheese (Whole Milk is the best but Part Skim works too 🙂
6-7 beef and pork meatballs, fully cooked and cut in half or quarters
1) Combine sauce and meatballs in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat until meatballs are heated through. If meatballs are frozen, thaw slightly before heating with sauce.
2) While sauce is heating, cook pasta according to directions on package (be sure to salt your water); drain.
3) In a small round or square baking/casserole dish, spread a small amount of sauce (1/4 cup) on the bottom of the dish. Add 4-5 pillows of ravioli, 6 meatball halves (or 12 quarters) and a thin layer of sauce followed by 1/2 cup of cheese. Repeat layers using the remaining ravioli, meatballs, sauce and cheese (Note: Make sure all of the ravioli is completely covered by sauce so it won’t dry out in the oven).
4) Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until cheese has completely melted.
5) Use a spatula or large serving spoon to scoop out portions. Enjoy!
*Freeze remaining meatballs and use in other recipes or save for the next time you make this dish
**Favorite NEW Products – July-Dec 2014